Last month Too Faced came out with a waterproof version of their wildly popular Better Than Sex mascara. The original version was a fan favorite but the formula just did not work with our eyelashes. Being Asian-American women, we struggle with most mascaras because we have such straight and sparse lashes. Waterproof formulas tend to last longer and hold a curl better than their non-waterproof counterparts, so we thought the Better Than Sex Waterproof would work best for us. Therefore, we both picked it up at the recent VIB sale and couldn’t wait to to test it out!
Size: 0.27 oz
Claims: “Now in a waterproof formula, Better Than Sex Waterproof mascara has a collagen-fueled formula with added high-performance and water-resistant polymers for waterproof, sweat-proof, play-proof wear. The hourglass-shaped brush was designed with extra stiff bristles to maximize the performance of this carbon black, collagen-fueled formula. One coat and lashes are full and defined. Two coats and lashes are even more luscious, curled, and dramatic. Three coats and you’ve achieved your most intense, voluminous, waterproof lashes possible.”
Made without: parabens, sulfates, phthalates
Read our thoughts below!
(oily eyelids, straight eyelashes, watery eyes)
- The Look: My eyelashes are volumized, lengthened, and appear fuller. They get super dark and my the curl stays all day.
- Longevity: After it dries, I RARELY find any black smudging or flakes under my eye.
- Packaging: Personally I love the sturdy feel, look, and color of the tube! It makes it feel like I am using a durable/high quality product.
- Formulation: Very wet, and takes a while to dry. Sometimes it gets a little clumpy during the application.
- Brush Size: The brush is way too large and clunky. It gets in the way of precise application. I really have to really focus in order to not get mascara on my lids or under my eye.
- Still Not 100% Waterproof: This mascara is more water-resistant than waterproof. I would never dare to wear this to the beach. Once wet, the formula runs and is very difficult to remove from under the eyes.
- Price: $23 dollars is very pricey for a product that needs to be replaced every 2-3 months. The tube comes with .27 ounces which is very little compared to how dense the tube feels.
(oily eyelids, short & sparse lashes)
- Volumizing: I was seriously impressed with this mascara, especially since I had such a bad experience with the original formula. Unlike the original, this mascara made my lashes look super volumized and held curl very well.
- Longevity: My lashes looked great all day and didn’t turn stiff, like they do with some other waterproof formulas. It only smudged a very small amount, which is a huge plus for me since I have such oily lids. Usually I have raccoon eyes by the end of the day if I’m not careful about the mascara I wear. ***I don’t suffer from smudged mascara or eyeliner anymore! Click here to learn a simple trick that will save you from raccoon eyes 🙂
- Messy Application: I get that in order for a mascara to be as volumizing as this one is, the formula has to be wet and clumpy. However, the first few times I put this mascara on, it got everywhere. The extremely large brush size also contributed to this issue.
- Spidery Lashes: Actually, this one isn’t so much a con for me because I don’t mind that clumpy look – sometimes you just have to pick your battles (especially if you don’t have great lashes to work with!). However, I know many people avoid that spidery look and this formula can quickly turn your lashes into a clumpy mess if you aren’t careful.
We loved the Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof mascara! The formula is definitely not waterproof, but it is water-resistant. It smudged very little on both of us (click here to learn a trick to get rid of smudging!), and gave us very voluminous lashes while managing to hold curl throughout the day. However, if you are uncomfortable using a mascara with a large brush size or a very wet formula, this one might not be for you. Overall, we definitely recommend giving this a shot, especially to the Asian women out there looking to add volume and curl to their lashes.
FINAL RATING: 9/10