Picture this: two women with full workloads meeting on an early Sunday afternoon to blow off a little steam by enjoying brunch with a mimosa or two. Well, that’s exactly what Susan and I didn’t do this day. Instead, we decided to attend a beauty class offered by Sephora’s team of professionals to bring you all more information about contouring and highlighting techniques.
Contouring and highlighting are makeup techniques used to enhance face shapes, bone structures, and other features. These techniques create subtle illusions to bring forward your best features while hiding and tweaking the ones you want to cover up. It’s basically makeup plastic surgery.
This was our first Sephora Beauty Class so we were unsure of what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised!
About Sephora Beauty Classes
These classes take place at the beauty studio in store. They are typically offered before the store opens and hold around 8-10 students. Spots are reserved online and fill up extremely fast due to the small class size. The best thing about these classes are that they are FREE as long as you are a beauty insider.
Each class has an instructor that demonstrates the techniques on a model. The class then gets to try out the technique at an individual station with your own set of tools and products which Sephora provides. The instructor and beauty advisors walk around and assist when needed.
What We Learned
- Placement of Contour and Highlight – often times people have all the right tools and products. However, if placement is incorrect the final look may not be its best.
- Blend!! – No one wants a streaky face. Make sure that all lines of powders and creams are blended flawlessly into one another. The best way to check this is in natural lighting
- Highlight before Contour – It is much harder to lighten areas you have already added shadows to.
- You do not Need Special Contour Products – You may think you have to go out and spend lots of money on the newest contour kit. You are able to contour with anything such as a darker/lighter concealers, foundations, cream products, and powders.
- Cream before Powder – If you are planning on using both powders and creams make sure to use the cream products before the the powders. The opposite will cause caking.
- Highlighting Below the Hollows of Cheeks– This is one of our favorite techniques for a fast contour which is often missed! After you contour your cheekbones highlight under the contour line below the hollows of your cheeks for a subtle and quick way to enhance the contour.
Products We Loved
- Sephora Pro Airbrush Concealer Brush #57 – perfect for highlighting and concealing under the eyes, bridge of nose, and center of forehead. (Similar to the Real Techniques deluxe crease brush)
- Sephora Bright Future Gel Concealer – this can be used for both contour/highlight. Pick up a shade that is lighter or darker and blend!
- BeautyBlender – This is a favorite for us! It blends concealer and cream products flawlessly with minimal effort.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Cream Kit – Blendable and so versatile. Creates dramatic or natural contour.
Conclusions About the Class
While these classes may be geared towards beauty beginners, we were still able to pick up tricks and product tips by attending. We definitely recommend these classes to every beauty lover out there! Grab a friend and sign up for a class near you!