While eyelash extensions are glamorous and convenient, maintaining them is not exactly the same. In order to make your investment worth your money there are some steps and precautions you can take to ensure they last their full cycle and possibly even longer! These 5 tips have helped me in taking care of my extensions helping them last anywhere from 4-6 weeks.
1. DO NOT Use Oil Based Eye Makeup Remover – Under no circumstance should you use oil on your eyes. This will just loosen the adhesive on your extensions and cause major fall out.
Recommended Product: Make Up Forever Sens’Eyes – Waterproof Sensitive Eye Cleanser. This makeup remover is specially formulated to use on synthetic lashes.
2. DO NOT wear mascara – I have heard from some lash technicians that it is okay to wear mascara however I believe this to be false. The reason being you will have to remove the mascara later on by rubbing your eyes and lashes which just causes fall out when washing the mascara off.
3. DO NOT Wear Waterproof Eyeliner – while this seems like a no brainer I had to make a conscious effort to not use my beloved waterproof Stila Eyeliner and 24/7 Urban Decay Eyeliner on my top lash line.
Recommended Product: Pretty Easy Liquid Eyelining Pen – Not waterproof but the tip is perfect for precise lines when having to dodge your extensions.
4. Use Eyelash Serums – While eyelash extensions should not damage your natural lashes, I believe you still need to take the proper steps to ensure your natural lashes remain undamaged. Using a serums encourages growth and can even strengthen the bond between the lashes and and the extensions
Recommended Product: Lashfood Phyto-Medic Eyelash Enhance. This serum is gentle enough for sensitive eyes (no stinging/irritation) and it keeps my lashes growing strong!
5. Clean/Blowdry/Brush – In order to keep the extensions in place I have noticed that cleansing them with a gently foam cleanser (without oil), blow-drying them, and brushing them out with a clean mascara wand keeps them looking new and prevents them from tangling. Many people try not to get their extensions wet and while this may be a good idea most of the time, there are times when they need to be cleaned. This is especially necessary if you wear eye makeup with them.
If you are trying to decide whether to get eyelash extensions check out my post